Thursday night about 11:00 + - 20 minutes or so I turned out the light, let my eyes adjust and started to toddle off to bed. I have to walk in straight lines so I don't lose balance so I launched for the bookcase directly across from my chair. From my position on the floor I postulate that I was nearly there--like making the last step to secure point #1 so that I could pivot and head to bed. A couple things could have happened. 1. I may have stubbed my toe in the carpet with that dropped foot thing that MS brings, or 2. I may have assumed my foot was flat when it was actually pointed toward the floor and thinking it was flat I stepped down hard, crunched my toes and rolled my ankle. A third thing I don't want to add to the list of possibilities is that I had a nano-second short circuit and blacked out. That has happened twice before, but not in years. At any rate, I ended up on the floor on my backside gasping for breath. I knew I had broken my foot! I didn't hear any snapping of bones, but with pain like that--it was broken!
When I could talk, we discussed how to get to the car . . . I could not walk and I'm more of a substantial woman than a Twiggy! David could not carry me. Decided we had to go the abulance route. Two sturdy guys trussed me up and got me there. And. we. waited! Guess there was a rush on the X-ray machine. They had over 400 emergencies! Gotta look at the phase of the moon to see what's going on. Took the picture, finally, and then they gave me the boot! Literally! It was not broken so they put a protective boot on so I would not injure it further and tried to get me to walk on crutches--balance is not good enough. I left in a wheelchair. It was 4:00 a.m. when we finally got home. We stopped at Meijer's and picked up a little aluminum walker . . . it will be nice when I can use it but right now I can't put pressure on that foot. David got me into the house by using the office chair that I use to scoot around the kitchen. It works great! Sooo, I am in my recliner, foot elevated and iced. When nature calls I transition to the office chair and David pulls or pushes me to the bathroom! It works nicely while he is home but I fear for Monday when he goes back to work! Sure glad my work is all done on computer!
What is really bothering me is that Saturday coming up I am scheduled to take part in a reading festival at a neighboring town. I don't know how far to the bathrooms. David has to drop me and run. At some point I need to get to another site! Yikes! We are looking into wheelchair rentals . . . but I will still need a pusher since David has to leave! Oy (insert pathos)! Ooops, update, he heard my date incorrectly so he doesn't have to drop and run. He can stay and push!
My sister called this afternoon. She got the same injury chasing kids--put her foot in a gopher hole and down she went. She tells me that it will be two months before I will be able to walk on it with confidence and with stability. Sigh.
Other than the pump for the "up-flush" toilet having an ailment, we are perking along just fine. Plan to call the plumber on Monday cuz we are penny pinchers and don't want to pay weekend fees1
So that's the latest update. Hope you all are chipper and skipping about!
Blessings, Carol
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Glad no bones were broken. Also glad David can be your "pusher" after all. Sounds like you two are pretty good about improvising your way through all sorts of situations. Hope your foot becomes a working part of your body again sooner than the two months your sister's foot took.
Love, Carol
OKAY1 It seems to me it is time for another update from yiuall; PLEASE; THANK YOU. Love; mOM b'
Post a Comment