There is an Osage Indian word--"Wodanska." It means: a bright shiney thing for which we have no medicine. There are many wodanskas in my house. My husband is particularly susecptable to the allure of a wodanska.
My coffee pot died during the time our daughter was here from Alaska because of her Dad's heart surgery. It was no time at all before he was up on his feet and raring to go but was not allowed to drive. However, daughter has keys!! The two of them decided that this was a good time to shop for a new coffee pot for Mom! I should have known better. . .I should have!
They came back with a wodanska! It is a lovely brushed stainless steel unit--shiney. You can set the timer to go off to wake you to the aroma of freshly ground and brewed coffee in the morning. What's not to love? You put the beans in the night before (and water please!) then in the morning this helicopter starts its motor in your kitchen. You wake up. By the time you get to the kitchen you are greeted with the lovely scent of fresh brew!
That's the theory. Let me tell you how it really works! David fixes coffee the night before and leaves for a conference. He's going to be gone almost 5 days. He takes the program off so I can sleep in. I wake up late, fix breakfast and punch the coffee button. I continue eating, feeling all loved and taken care of. Go to get my coffee and there is none. He forgot the water! Oh, shoot. Nothing for it--add the water and rerun without the grinder part. No problem. I can do this! Go to pour my coffee: there's only a 1/2 cup! Where did the rest go? There was some on the counter, some in the carafe and the rest disappeared into the nether reaches of this shiney gadget!
I will have my coffee! I will not be defeated! I clean up the counter and clean out the grinder and start over--new water, new beans, grind away. The phone rings--again! For the third time! I am steamed as well as the coffee grounds. Who ever is calling seems completely unaware that other people have stuff to deal with other than their phone call!! Argh! I know one individual who had been calling and she asked that her call be put into the "urgent" category--more steam! She has no idea what I am dealing with and no idea what she is asking! Urgent?! Before my second cup? I call and I don't care that there are three hours difference. I obviously got her out of bed and I was unrepentant. I told her David was not only already gone, he had gone the night before and no, there were no message left for him regarding her and besides I was not well (and did not appreciate phone calls during coffee making)! Then she wanted the blow by blow which I did not want to give!
I go back out to the kitchen for coffee which is now done--I heard the little chime. . . There is coffee all over the floor, all over the counter and the sink edge! I sit there in my wheelchair stunned! This was the third attempt and the third time is the charm, right? Some charm. I check the carafe. . . there's a little bit so I pour it in my thermal cup. It's not very hot, and begin to clean up the mess. . . Understand that I have been using a wheelchair for the better part of two months due to balance issues. I had to stand to do all this coffee stuff so by now my hands and legs are shaky and the legs weren't dependable to begin with. I decide it is time to enjoy my barely warm coffee, what there is of it and do a little recouping.
It is now 1:00 and I have not made coffee yet. I am not defeated by the wodonska . . .just biding my time. I don't want to be up half the night because I got my caffiene too late in the day. Tomorrow is another day and, like Don Quixote, I shall ride forth valiently and conquor the "Wodonska!"
May your day be well caffinated!
Blessings, Carol
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a nice way to start my Sunday morning. (I wasn't on the computer yesterday.) Nice to get off to a humorous start. Sorry for your battles with the coffee maker. Hope you've defeated it by now!
Love the comment from the "other" Carol Brown. Wishing you love peace and coffee...
Post a Comment