Sunday, November 29, 2009

Gobble, gobble. Problems, problems . . .

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving day. Everyone was there except one brother and his wife. So, we prayed for them, blessed the food and chowed down. With the business at hand finished, the feet went up and the conversation began. I am sure the roof and the sides of the house were bulging from time to time. Wow! The volume of hot air was incredible!


We were able to see the picture of Tom's prize deer--what a rack that buck had. He is a bow hunter.


We toured Jim's woodworking shop. He is preparing for retirement. His retirement supplemental income is going to come from his woodworking. He does not know how to do anything but fine work. Beautiful little boxes with lovely woodburned free hand drawings--a bugaling elk against a backdrop of mountains and evergreens, pine cones, bears, fish and the like. And then there is the beautiful furniture he makes--plant stands, end tables, side tables, coffee tables--carved walking sticks and pistol grip canes! His signiture is going to be "Curmudgen." A grumpy old man--because he wants to do what he wants to do! Do not ask for custom anything because it is not going to happen! And don't press him on it or he will get mad, close the shop and go fishing!


We heard about Denny's adventures in the wilds of Alaska and the latest thing he is working on. And since we missed hearing all "Babe's" stories I called him Friday and we chewed the fat for an hour! Ya, we call him Babe--he was the baby, you know. His name is actually Dale but nobody in the family calls him that!


We had Linda and her family there for a while. Since her husband is from the area they had two dinners to attend. It is hard to keep up them anyway--two teenagers! Linda's daughter is three weeks younger than my oldest granddaughter. How is that for an age spread! Tom's and Jim's daughters and families were in attendance so those stories-----wheew!

I had way too much fun! I tried to lay low the next day. I got my massage and that always helps. But a friend called and asked us to come over and help eat all that left over pie! David could not resist. He ended up going to a movie with my friend's husband. Peggy does not like those kinds of movies and neither do I so we blessed them and continued with the hen party! She brought me home at a reasonable hour. I'm afraid that added to the "way too much fun" hole that I had dug on Turkey Day!


Wouldn't you know, the boys decided to come over last night. I heard the laughter and I knew the hot air was flying--in spite of how much I wanted to, I didn't go up and join them. I stayed in my chair with feet in the air letting the energy level rise and slept in this morning till ten. Maybe I'll be okay tomorrow? Monday evening is writers' group and that is more fun. I seem to have this problem!


Here's hoping you all had the same problem--way too much good food and way too much fun! Here's to recovery!


Blessings, Carol

1 comment:

Vanessa's Dad said...

Thanksgiving is a great time of food and family fellowship... much to be Thankful for.

LOVE,
UNCA MIKE