Can you believe? Dental rebar! That's what he said, he reinforced my smile with rebar! Seems the enamel on my two front teeth is sluffing off, little by little. It left a very sharp feeling jagged edge on the back of my tooth and I feared I was going to slice my tongue on it! Ouch. So dentist man took out an old filling, put in some rebar and put composite over that, smoothed it all off, took off the jagged edges and now my smile is back! As soon as this Novocain wears off I can chomp anything I choose!
Speaking of food--I discovered that I am allergic to gluten! That is one of the reasons I have blown up like a puffer fish. Just didn't know I was allergic to it. And bread baking has been one of my strong suites. Oh, dear, what to do! I love my bread. Decided to get a bread maker so I don't have to stand. There are many grains that do not contain gluten so I am on the hunt for the one that tastes the best. I am also trying to learn to use this machine to get the sort of loaf I am used to seeing. This is an adventure.
Loaf #1 made with all kamut flour. Put it on the "whole wheat setting" for dark crust. The crust was way too thick. Learning: do not use setting #5! Loaf # 2 also made with kamut flour.--gotta use it all! I put all the stuff in, only to discover that I had neglected to put in the paddle that does all the mixing! Dump it all out, put the paddle in and see what happens. Might as well, I may throw it away any way, but might as well see how forgiving the receipt is! Very dense loaf! Learning: Put the paddle in first! Loaf # 3 made with 3/4 kamut and 1/4 oat flour. I could not find the little bit of yeast left over from last time so what the nuts, just don't bother saving that 1/2 teaspoon of yeast. Throw is all in. I wondered what would happen since the instructions stress EXACT measurements. I peeked through the window and saw a lovely fluffy loaf. Oh, joy! Maybe I found the secret! Well, when the machine beeped to tell me it was done I find that it fell! Not badly, but it fell. The taste! Oh! You could get fat on that bread! I would like to try that one again, but as I paid attention to my body I could feel the puffiness increasing as I enjoyed my sandwich. Scratch the kamut. I have to find out the gluten factor for oats, or if they have any. I have to look at the need to change my diet as a fun thing--look at all these new things we get to try! As long as I can keep that perspective, I think I will be okay. So here is to adventures! May you keep your perspective on your adventure!
Blessings, Carol
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment