Friday, September 25, 2009

I See The Light!

There is light at the end of the tunnel! I can see it! I am down to two chapters! Lord willing, I will complete it somtime Sunday! If there are too many phone calls or life happens, I would be happy with a Monday completion. Then it is back to the editor to see if my changes meet with approval. Then off to the publisher and I can breathe for a few days, mop the floor maybe! Better yet, find the floor! The place looks like a tornado hit. I would put the coffee on, open the door so I can hear the wind and the birds and fire up the old computer. Yesterday I knocked off two chapters--can you believe that!

It is hard work, but I am so happy to be at this place. One day I was on a page where there were arrows going every which way, delete this, delete, that, clarify, example . . .oh, it was brutal. I began to grouse at God. "This is really hard, God. I don't want to do anymore "hard" books. You asked me to do this and I am, but now I want to just do fun stuff--the children's books." I didn't hear any tisk tisk, but very gently I was reminded of something I wrote--about being humble and not only accepting, but submitting to the disciplines of the call! Oh! Skewered by my own words! I hung my head and said, "Okay. I will as many "hard" books as You give me. I will submit to the disciplines of the call--i.e. get the silly punctuation down pat! and other stuff like that. And, I thank You Lord for Mark. He is the very best teacher for me....and he isn't even charging me to edit! And God, if I moan and groan like a camel, just don't pay any attention! If I start spitting like one, that is another matter!"

Today I wrote and thanked Mark and shared some of the things people are saying. I thought I'd share them with you.

  • You just explained my life! Thanks.

  • I was considering checking in at a mental institute . . . thank you!

  • I was not going to commit suicide, I was just hanging around waiting for the rapture.

  • A psychiatrist in NY read it and found it so helpful she started using it in her practice! One of her groups of abused women invited me out for my very first seminar! The doc said, "This is the most profoundly helpful book I have ever read!

Those kinds of comments make the hard work worth it. So far I have heard from people in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, and Japan. The book is in India, Austria, Germany, Canada, England, Netherlands, and I think Finland as well. We asked the Lord to make sure it found its way to the people who need it! Wow.

Mark wrote back assuring me that all edited manuscripts look like mine, all of them! Then he shared the sweetest news, my book is one of Elijah House's better sellers. Woo Hoo! and with that I bid you goodnight!

Blessings, Carol









No comments: