Monday, September 14, 2009

It Is Finally Here!

Well, there has been some space since the last posting. . . but I have wonderful news! My new laptop has arrived. We had about three notices that it would be delayed, the latest it would arrive was the 18th. Well, it came Saturday. Of course, David was away, so I had to sit there and look at it. When he finally came home and started working on it to get it all up and working, he found out that some tech neglected to put some code in it somewhere. When he called in for tech support he got a message that my machine was not made in the US and they would not give tech support for a foreign born machine!@#**! Hours later and miles of telephone labyrinth later they were able to resolve that one, but we have to wait 24 hours until they get it squared away in Dell's mega-brain computer somewhere. So, about 3:00 this afternoon we can start over at square one. Don't you just love it!

I have the meeting of our "Literary Society" at my house tonight. Oh, it is just my writers group. I read a book this weekend while David was fighting with my computer and trying to get through to someone on the telephone. It is titled "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." It is a fun read but at the same time gives a pretty good picture of what it was like for the people of the Channel Islands during German occupation. A very sweet book in spite of the setting. No foul language or gratuitous sex. Some real characters--you can just see them! Anyway, I wanted to have the stories I've written in longhand all typed in and printed, but that is not going to happen. The clutter mess may or may not be picked up by the time everyone comes.

While I have been waiting for my manuscript to come back from Mark Sandford another idea for a children's story presented itself. I believe I will call these "The Tales of Goat Hollow." I have some colorful characters myself! There are the twins, Clementt and Emmett--that's with two "t's", there is mean old man Crowder, funny Hank and the bee tree, etc. probably one about the "Sharp Shooters", i.e. the guys who could bean a partridge with a rock (we ate him for supper--the bird, not the kid!) and maybe I'll work in the one about David shooting the gasoline can to see how close he could come to the top of the gas! I think Sassy Pants will be one of this collection. I will fly the idea past the editors and see what they think--but I need to come up with $4,00o for the marketing. Man, writing is hardly a paying proposition unless you hit it big. I think Sassy Pants will make money, but you have to have it to start!

Did someone ask me to see that little tale? There is this niggling memory that I told someone they could read it, but I can't remember who!

On Friday before the computer arrived, my manuscript came from Mark. I was overjoyed! Then on Sat. the computer! Hallelujah! I could do the editing on my new machine. Well, the box sits on the floor waiting, and the computer sits on the end table waiting, and I sit here typing a blog letting you all know that soon, very soon, I will be editing like a maniac and you may or may not hear from me until this round of editing is finished and sent off for another lookie loo by Mark before it goes to the publisher. Once I get it to the publisher I will have a breather for a while. I think I will need that vacation in Seattle with Meilee and family over Christmas!

It is lunch time and I am hungry! Stay well! Carol

1 comment:

Vanessa's Dad said...

There's a song from my kids' childhood, that they still refer to now and again... wisdom thru the ages..

Have patience...
Have patience...
Don't be in such... a hurry.

UNCA MIKE